The Bureau of Agricultural Research (BAR) is mandated to lead and coordinate the national agriculture and fisheries research and development (R&D) in the country. Under Section 20 of RA 10068 otherwise known as the Organic Agriculture Act of 2010, BAR is tasked to be the lead agency in coordinating organic agriculture research, development and extension activities with other government agencies, SUCs, and private sectors.
The National Organic Agriculture Program (NOAP) allocated a budget of Php 50,000,000.00 for 2017 for new and on-going researches on organic agriculture under BAR. Through this fund, BAR was able to support 30 RDE projects composed of 19 applied research, 9 production and postproduction technologies for commercialization and assistance for the establishment 2 RDE Facilities.
The activities and accomplishments of the said approved projects are coordinated by the different concerned divisions of BAR such as the Project Monitoring and Evaluation Division (PMED), Technology Commercialization Division (TCD), Institutional Development Division (IDD) and the Program Development Division (PDD). Monitoring and evaluation activities for projects involve on-site visits and desk evaluation, which includes technical review of progress and financial reports. Terminal reviews are also conducted at the end of project implementation.
The Project Monitoring and Evaluation Division has monitored 10 applied researches, reviewed the progress of 18 projects and conducted terminal review of 6 projects. The Technology Commercialization Division on the other hand, has monitored 11 projects on production and post-production technologies for commercialization, reviewed the progress of 1 project and conducted terminal reviews for 5 projects.
From the 2017 completed projects, six (6) technologies have been developed from the following applied research projects:
- Development of Package of Chemical Free Production Technologies using Animal Manures with Biofertilizer cum Biopesticide Properties for Tomato and Garlic (Mariano Marcos State University)
- Validation and Documentation of Organic Production System for Lowland Rice and Eggplant-Mungbean in Pangasinan (DA-ILIARC)
- Validation and Documentation of Organic Production System for Lowland Rice and Mungbean-Okra in Tarlac (DA-CLIARC)
- Validation and Documentation of Organic Production Systems for Rice and Bittergourd-Squash in Zamboanga Sibugay (DA-ZAMPIARC)
- Validation and Documentation of Organic Production System for Lowland Rice and Squash in Buenavista, Agusan Norte (DA-CARIARC)
- Organic Okra Production Pest Management Technologies Devt. For Local & Export Markets (Tarlac Agricultural University)
In addition, three (3) technologies have been commercialized from the following technology commercialization projects:
- Integrated RDE Program on Commercial Production of Free-Range Chicken among Women in Santa Ignacia, Tarlac (Tarlac Agricultural University)
- Promotion of Organic Farming Technologies for High Value Vegetables and Native Pigs Production in Kalayaan, Laguna (CELPA, Inc.)
- Expansion of Native Pig Production and Commercialization of Developed Processing Technologies in Tagkawayan, Quezon (SLSU-JGE)
The results of organic agriculture research funded have been documented by the Applied Communication Division (ACD) of BAR through Mag-Agri Tayo, an agricultural program aired on Channel 4 NBN every Saturday at 9:00 am, to disseminate to the public and concerned stakeholders about the latest technologies and innovations in organic agriculture research and development in the country. In 2017, the following projects have been documented:
1. Protocol Improvement & Product Development of Liquid Organic Fertilizers from Fermented Plant Extract
Proponent: Dr. Mannix Pedro, BIOTECH-UPLB
2. Development of Organic Seed Production Systems for Field Legumes & Lowland vegetables (RFU IVA&B, V)
Proponent: Dr. Herminigilda Gabertan, BPI-LBNCRDPSC
3. Documentation and Evaluation of Microbials and Botanicals for Organic Agriculture in Support to Organic Stakeholders in CALABARZON, MIMAROPA and Bicol Region
Proponent: Dr. Herminigilda Gabertan, BPI-LBNCRDPSC
4. Management of Eggplant Fruit and Shoot Borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee (Lepidopera pyralidae) and Other Major Insect Pest of Organically Grown Eggplant with Emphasis on Biological Control Agents and Botanical Insecticides in Quezon, Laguna and Batangas
Proponent: Dr. Pio O. Javier, UPLB
5. Development of Natural Source as Alternative to Synthetic Methionine for Native Chicken Organic Supplemental Feed Production
Proponent: Dr. Jaime C. Cabarles Jr., Central Philippine University
6. Development of Effective Management Strategies for Lowcost Organic Production Systems through the Identification and Analysis of the Microbial Flora and Parasite Fauna of the Philippine Native Swine
Proponent: Dr. Vachel Gay V. Paller, BIOTECH-UPLB
7. Participatory Breeding and Seed Production on Organic Vegetables
Proponent: Dr. Rodel G. Maghirang, UPLB
8. Identification of Indigenous Entomopathogenic Nematodes (EPNs) as Effective Biocontrol Agent against Common Insect Pests of Selected Organically-grown Salad Vegetables in Cebu
Proponent: Ms. Maria Lima D. Pascual, Cebu Technological University
Aside from the documentation of projects, BAR has also conducted free seminars on the latest and relevant developments in organic agriculture R&D. The following seminars were conducted:
- Biofertilizer Technologies for Sustainable Crop Production and Its Other Beneficial Usage and Product Procedure on Making Liquid Fertilizer from Fermented Plant Extract
Speaker: Dr. Mannix Pedro, BIOTECH-UPLB
- Metagenomic Analysis of Bat Guano Sampled in Cabalyorisa and Tinmori Caves in Mabini, Pangasinan and Determination of the Efficacy and Safety of Bat Guano as Organic Agricultural Fertilizer
Speaker: Dr. Marian P. De Leon, UP-NSRI
The bureau also launched the Compendium of BAR-Funded Projects under the National Organic Agriculture Program (2011-2016) which highlights technologies developed, commercialized and R&D facilities supported. The Compendium was launched during the 14th National Organic Agriculture Congress in Cagayan de Oro City.