MFO. 2.1 PRODUCTION SUPPORT SERVICES
Distribution of Vermicast and Vermiworms
- Vermicomposting facilities (VCFs) were maintained in Babatngon Experiment Station, San Jorge Experiment Station, San Miguel Experiment Station, Abuyog Experiment Station and Salcedo Integrated Demonstration Farm. They produced a total of 10,085 kg of vermicasts which were distributed to organic vegetable farmers and attained 100.85% accomplishment versus the annual target. In addition, 44 kg of vermiworms were distributed to farmers which exceeded the 10kg annual target due to sufficient sources of substrates namely: banana pseudostem, leguminous crops, farm wastes and animal manure.
- Distributed 10,085 kg of vermicast to 107 farmer beneficiaries in LGUs Dagami, Jaro, Tacloban City, Tanauan, Palo, Julita, Salcedo, Babatngon, Dulag, Abuyog, Baybay City, Calbayog City, Gandara, San Jorge, Sta. Margarita, Basey, Sta. Rita, Macrohon and
- Distributed 44 kg of vermiworms in LGUs Jaro, Tanauan, Babatngon, Palo, Julita and Salcedo
Distribution of Biocontrol agents
- Abuyog Experiment Station-RCPC produced and distributed 15,000 pieces of 3 species of Trichogramma (japonicum, evanescens, chilonis) to organic rice, corn and vegetable farmers, servicing a total of 300 hectares in the selected organic farms in the region.
- Released 15,000 pcs of Trichogramma (T. evanescens , T. japonicum, T. chilonis) to LGUs Jaro, Burauen, Silago, Hilongos, Palo, Motiong, Calbiga, Macrohon, Borongan, Biliran, Caibiran, San Roque, Alang-alang, Albuera, Baybay City, Capoocan, Dulag, Hilongos, Bato, Isabel, Jaro, Libagon, Matalom, Ormoc City, Palo, San Isidro, Bontoc, Maasin City, Saint Bernard, San Juan, Silago and Mayorga
Released of Earwigs
- Mass produced/reared 11,000 individual earwigs and released 9,850 earwigs to organic vegetable growers covering a total area of almost 1 hectare. Earwigs are predators against pests in vegetables like aphids, mites and mealy bugs.
- Released 9,850 pcs. of earwigs in Burauen, Dulag, Silago for the control of insect pests on organic corn crops
Released of Metarrhizium sp.
- Metarrhizum sp. also known as the green muscardine is a microbial agent against insects and reprted as bio-control potential of entomopathogenic fungi against jackfruit borer. This is capable of infecting the larvae of jackfruit borer and observed fungal growth on cadavers. In addition, Metarhizium sp. fungus is also known to be effective against rhinocerous beetle on coconut, Rice Black Bug (RBB) and fruit borer on vegetables. Additional bags of Metarrhizium were then distributed to vegetable and coconut growers.
- Mass production was performed in Abuyog Experiment Station and distributed 2,000 bags of Metarrhizium in LGUs Mahaplag, Baybay City, Julita, Calubian, Albuera, Merida, Ormoc City, Abuyog, and Inopacan
Distribution of Molasses
- A total of 500 liters of molasses were distributed to organic farmers used as primary component in the preparation of natural farming inputs namely: Indigenous Microorganisms, Fish Amino Acid, Lactic Acid Bacterial Serum, Fermented Plant Juices, Fermented Fruit Juices, etc.
- Distributed 500 liters of molasses to 12 farmers in Tacloban City, Palo, Carigara, Tanauan Maripipi, St. Bernard, Sta. Margarita and Kananga
Distribution of Seeds and Planting Materials
- Distributed 2,000 kg lowland rice seeds to 50 farmers in the LGUs of Sta. Fe, Capul, Basey and Sta. Margarita
- Distributed 350 kg upland rice seeds to 7 farmers in the LGU of Lope de Vega
- Distributed 30 kg of assorted vegetable seeds to 375 farmers in Alang-Alang, Tacloban City, Ormoc City, Palo, San Isidro, Tabon-Tabon, Lope De Vega, Gandara, Sta. Margarita, Basey, Marabut, Sta. Rita and Sulat
- Distributed 1,000 pieces of Trichanthera gigantea planting materials to LGUs Catarman, Capul, Lope de Vega, Basey and Sta. Margarita
- Distributed 780 pieces of jackfruit grafted planting materials in Naval, Capoocan, Ormoc City, Paranas and Anahawan
Distribution of Wood Vinegar
- Maintained 1 wood vinegar plant and distributed 1,750 liters of wood vinegar to 340 farmers. This wood vinegar is chemically known as pyroligneous acid. It is a dark reddish brown liquid that is composed mostly of acetic acid. It is used as fertilizer, natural organic insecticide, fungicide, soil conditioner, preservative, feed supplement or additives for livestock and poultry, insect repellant and disinfectant for livestock/poultry/cattle shed but under the organic agriculture program, it is promoted as fertilizer, insect repellant, soil conditioner, organic insecticide and fungicide.
- Distributed 1,750 liters of wood vinegar in LGUs Tacloban City, Alang-alang, Ormoc City, Tabango, Baybay City, Matalom, Capoocan, Jaro, San Isidro, Carigara, Albuera,Villaba, Abuyog, Macrohon, St. Bernard, Silago, Hinundayan, Libagon, Naval, Biliran, Catarman, Palo, Sogod, Rosario, and San Miguel
Conduct of Soil analysis
- The Regional Soil Laboratory being a recipient of OAP fund, has a target of 50 soil samples for analysis and accomplished 100%. A total of 50 soil samples were analyzed for soil fertility assessment from 50 organic farmer practitioners in the region. Mostly the soil samples analyzed were for organic vegetables production. There were 31 and 19 female and male farmer beneficiaries respectively.
- 50 soil samples analysed from LGUs: Palo (2), Tolosa (1), Tacloban City (2), Jaro (1), MacArthur (1), Mayorga (1), Dulag (1), Capoocan (1), Ormoc City (4), Abuyog (1), Javier (15), Basey (16), Marabut (2), Sta. Rita (1), San Julian (1)
DA Production facility upgraded
Organic fertilizer composting facilities
- Upgrading the DA vermi Stations through distribution of agricultural shredder machine and vermi tea brewer in Salcedo Integrated Demonstration Farm and vermi tea brewer in San Jorge Experiment Station
One (1) unit Vermi tea brewer distributed in Salcedo Integrated Demonstration Farm
One (1) unit agricultural shredder machine distributed in Salcedo Integrated Demonstration Farm
MFO 2.2 MARKET DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
- In support of the National Organic Agriculture Program (NOAP) promotion and development, the Department of Agriculture, through the Agribusiness and Marketing Assistance Division initiated the provision of various program interventions.
Market-related events Conducted
- Conducted the Consultative Meeting on Product Packaging and Labelling on March 17, 2016 in Maasin City
- Conducted the 2nd Eastern Visayas Organic Agriculture Congress in Tacloban City on November 10-11, 2016
Market-related events Assisted
- The activities yielded a sales volume of 25 metric tons of various naturally grown products, serving 285 individual farmers.
- Agro fair in Pastrana on September 24-October 4, 2016
Market-related events Funded
- Farmers and Fisherfolk Month on May 23-27, 2016 in Tacloban City
- Launching and Turin-over Ceremony of Organic Trading Post in Naval, Biliran on October 14, 2016
MFO 2.3 EXTENSION SUPPORT EDUCATION AND TRAINING SERVICES
Conducted Planning Workshops
- Workshops for FY 2017 plans and re-organization for Local Technical Committees (LTC) were conducted in six provinces of Eastern Visayas. The workshops aimed to determine the status of OA implementation per LGU, FY 2017 plans and update participants on the organic agriculture technologies based on the Philippine National Standards. In addition, updating of the Local Technical Committees were initiated by the program considering that the Chairman of the LTC is the newly elected Municipal Mayor as a result of the just concluded election.
- Conducted in Tacloban City on February 4, 2016
- Conducted in Sogod, Southern Leyte on February 11, 2016
- Conducted in Catarman, Northern Samar on February 16, 2016
- Conducted in Borongan City, Eastern Samar on February 18, 2016
- Conducted in Catbalogan, Samar on February 23, 2016
- Three Focus Group Discussions (FGD) and small group meetings were conducted to selected farmers of organic agriculture and exchange of insights and learning was conducted. The participants were members of EVOFA who came from various Municipalities, namely: Capoocan, Alang-alang, Sta. Rita, Julita, Palo, Abuyog, Tunga, Tacloban City, Javier, Villareal, Jaro Babatngon and Tabontabon.
Participation to National Organic Agriculture Congress
- Organic practitioners from Eastern Visayas participated in the 13th National Organic Agriculture Congress in Plaza del Norte Convention Center, Laoag City, Ilocos Norte last November 23-25, 2016. The highlights were the awarding of the National Organic Agriculture Achievers, OA technology innovations related to backyard gardening, animal husbandry and aquaculture and slow food cookfest. DA- RFO 8 was declared as the Champion of the Slow Food Cookfest Contest, Main Course Category.
MFO 5. AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION, POST-HARVEST AND PROCESSING EQUIPMENT AND FACILITIES
- Organic Agriculture Program distributed grass cutters to OA farmer associations namely EVOFA, Carigara Municipal Federation of Famers and Fisherfolks, AFCGI and ORSEPRA- MPC.
- Greenhouse was constructed in Cameri, Tanauan, Leyte
- Vacuum sealers were distributed in Sta. Rita, Tacloban City and Sta. Margarita
- Tea brewers were distributed to Tanauan, Lapinig, Sta. Rita, and Capul
- Pinawa rice mills were installed in Ormoc City, Sta. Margarita, and Lope de Vega
- The OAP of Region 8 continuing pursuing its goal to attain its target based on the scorecard of the Program. As of December 2016, the Region 8 OAP maintained its accomplishments on the different performance measures, as follows:
- Area converted to OA: 6,431.79 ha
- Organic volume produced: 24,300 mt
- Market reach: 1 international export and various national market destinations
- of organic certified farms: 1 OA certified farms with 3 applicants on process
- No of OA adopters: 6,387 OA adopters
- The year 2016 baseline data is still on process of consolidation where on increased figures of the scorecard is expectedly projected